[TYPO3-50-general] Technical concepts for TYPO3 v5 backend

Thomas Allmer at at delusionworld.com
Fri Feb 6 14:39:54 CET 2009

Denyer Ec wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Thomas Allmer <at at delusionworld.com> wrote:
>> yeah I love it and in my opinion it has the nicest code style. I would
>> like to create an alternative layout for TYPO3v5 in MooTools so I hope
>> they go with something that follows more the progressive enhancement
>> method than ExtJS seems to do.
>
> I don't know about you, but the concept of there being Prototype,
> jQuery, Dojo and MooTools forms of the BE scares me a little.

I'm sorry to scare you - didn't meant to do so.
However you can never choose the framework people wanna use but with the
  help of progressive enhancement this should be possible. So

That's the reason I really wanna push this idea to TYPO3v5 - maybe look
at this example:
Let's assume TYPO3v5 uses progressive enhancement.
So there is this "list view". It's just a table with lot's of tr and td.
No javascript at all - then you have a plugin "BEjsDefault" which will
take the table and make it really cool with sorting, dragging whatever.
So if I have another Plugin TYPO3v5 "BEjsMooTools" it just does the same
things but with some other js code. (I can't/shouldn't use BEjsDefault
and BEjsMooTools at the same time)
And now what happens if "BEjsMooTools" doesn't have a javascript for the
"list view" - the table just displays as plain html; it might be not as
nice but it works and that's the key behind progressive Enhancement.

If you take away on layer it doesn't matter it still works.

So even if "BEjsMooTools" isn't supplying all the needed js it still works.

So IF TYPO3v5 will use a really progressive enhancement method for it's
BE (and uses all javascript in an extension) then we will have the
possibility to "easily" create BEs with different javascript Frameworks.

Don't get me wrong I still think that projects should stick to one JS
framework, due to the size, look and feel, whatever... and it would be
great if this would be MooTools but as long as it has a working BE in
plain HMTL it's easy to just port the stuff you want to use and leave
the rest just to plain HTML. :p

> (As a non-progressive BE UI would obviously not work with a Moo BE)
> but also for site
> builders who need the functionality from extensions that (potentially)
> end up depending on a certain backend.

Your right if it's a non-progressive BE all this would be way harder. I
would have to recreate all the HTML in javascript if I want to use
another Framework. And that's double work I just want to write the
behavior not the look and all the stuff. So let's use progressive
Enhancement...

> Surely the main graphical UI will have some standard platform ?

I guess so...

cheers