[TYPO3-50-general] Distributed pair programming in Typo3

Eike Starkmann eike.starkmann at fu-berlin.de
Mon Aug 17 17:07:12 CEST 2009

Hi Sebastian,
thanks for your quick answer.

>> Saros is an Eclipse plugin for collaborative text editing and
>> distributed pair programming, i.e. it allows two or more developers to
>> work together in real-time on the same files. It is similar to Gobby,
>> SubEthaEdit or Google Docs but focuses on programming in Eclipse.
> That sounds quite cool :-)
>
>> What do you think? Could you and Typo3 benefit from doing pair
>> programming using Saros?
> Yep, I'll give it a try soon after my holidays!
Yes, that would be nice.

> I have two questions left:
> How does it relate to: http://wiki.eclipse.org/DocShare_Plugin ? I
> actually never really managed to get DocShare working, but I thought
> this would be "The Eclipse Way"?
It is not related to DocShare. DocShare is part of the Eclipse
Communication Frameworks, so yes this is the "Eclipse Way". DocShare has
widespread goals but Saros is more focused on doing pair programming so
this not really the same.

> On https://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/w/SE/DPPCompatiblePlugins , it seems
> that PHP is not supported right now? I guess most of us really need
> PDT in order to try it out properly :-)
I supposed that. ;-) We have written some patches to get PDT and DEV3 to
work. These Patches will be part of the next release on Friday 21.08.
So if you check out Saros on Friday/Saturday PDT and DEV3 should work.
Aptana and phpeclipse are working right now out of the box, but i don't
know if some of you are using it.

Have an nice holiday, Eike

--
Eike Starkmann
This message is part of my Master thesis research. Feel free to contact
christopher.oezbek at fu-berlin.de and stephan.salinger at fu-berlin.de