[TYPO3-50-general] ExtJs License

ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Thu Oct 16 12:54:25 CEST 2008

On Oct 16, 2008, at 3:46 AM, Karsten Dambekalns wrote:

> Hi.
>
> ries van Twisk wrote:
>> is it possible to use a BSD license for FLOW3? Any thoughts about
>> that.
>> By doing this you (association) make get more (financial?) support
>> from
>> the bigger companies. Because then it makes more sense to write large
>> applications under FLOW3 by large organizations. Just a thought...
>
> Well, I doubt that there is automatism involved when it comes to
> "large
> gains => donations".

I think they gain doesn't come directly in $$$ but more in better
acceptance from the industry.
There are several very large open source products with a BSD license
to prove this.

> Anyway, with LGPL you can sell whatever software you develop based on
> that under any license you wish. So, why is BSD better, apart from
> "let's sell FLOW3 itself so we earn even more"?

Because with LGPL (as far as I understand) you need to supply source
code with the product
Not all organizations are willing to do this and so it's better for
them to supply something without the source.
Mind you that it's more often than not the source will get delivered
anyways, but people of more options with BSD.

> Mind you, I am in no way against earning money with what you develop -
> but why should we go even further than sharing and let anyone
> exploit us?

I don't think that FLOW3 will not be more or less exploited then TYPO3
currently is.
There are enough websites around that removed all TYPO3 remarks from
the output (the one between <!-- ..... --> in the header)
and I am sure it has been rebranded already a couple of times...

Personally I don't mind what license FLOW3 really is. I always supply
source with my products,
it's just something to think about.

Ries