[TYPO3-50-general] Rebuilding Backend GUI

ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Wed Mar 19 16:03:21 CET 2008

On Mar 19, 2008, at 9:25 AM, Martin Kutschker wrote:

> ries van Twisk schrieb:
>>
>> "The problem with frameworks is that they are perfectly
>> understandable
>> by it's creators... But hard to understand by the people that want to
>> use them"
>>
>> it's better to create components.....
>
> So you think that FLOW3 is a failure by design?
>
> Masi

I cannot judge if FLOW3 is a failure by design since I never checked
out the projects,
but from what I read and hear it's not.

But like what Michael said, working with some of the JS 'frameworks'
is hard
like the extjs example he mentioned, you really need to dig into it to
understand it very well.
and to make really well created JS code, this is a problem with
frameworks... specially if the examples are bad!!!

Working with frameworks really hard for third party developers because
then need to have a full (100%)
understanding how a framework works. TYPO3 is a good example looking
at the number of wrong builded
extensions in TER (including mine ), this ofcourse is very much
historic and comes from the days that PHP4 did
now allow proper OO design, but does show you how a framework can be
mis-used as well even though
documentation is there.

FLOW3 is not a failure by design and I have no doubt it will be
successfully (I never checkout out FLOW3 but planning some day),
I do think it all drills down to make the frame work really permissive
and don't allow hacks (thank
god PHP has better OO capabilities now then a couple of years ago). So
people HAVE to follow the frameworks
design philosophy (no globals, no access to DB handles etc....) just
well design API's (components??)

For FLOW 3 I am specially curious how content is handled, what API is
available and how it can be used.
So all modules (or how they are called in FLOW3) will make use of all
advanced features (versioning, workflows, language etc etc)
that is available without having to program it them selve like now
with the current version of TYPO3 (where each extension
needs to handle there own localization for example).

Ries

PS: I am not trying to be offensive....-