[TYPO3-50-general] Fluid - Name of templating engine

Sebastian Kurfürst sebastian at typo3.org
Mon Dec 8 20:00:14 CET 2008

Hello,

I have been making a poll for the name of the FLOW3 templating engine
which is currently called BEER3, at http://www.doodle.com/4evbpcmw62eq7pca
  - the clear winner with 23 votes is "fluid", the second one "flux".

To make sure it does not have any negative meaning associated with it
(as some guys pointed out), I contacted Jeff Segars, and here is his
answer:

> To me, Fluid is a good fit and I don't have any bad connotations
> there. When I think of Fluid I think of something that is flexible
> and "flows" well. There's an OS X named Fluid (http://fluidapp.com/)
> so that's the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about
> software.
>
> Flux probably has a slightly worse meaning, but its not that bad
> either.  We'd be much more likely to say "our plans are in flux"
> rather than "our plans are fluid", so when I flux makes me think
> about something that is constantly changing.

So, that's a +1 from him for Fluid.

Now, it only has to be decided how to exactly spell it.

1) Fluid

2) FLUID

3) fluid (IMHO not really an option as all package keys in FLOW3 start
with a capital letter).

I am currently in favor of "Fluid", as FLUID might be too close to
FLOW3 - but I'd be very interested in your comments!

@Robert, Karsten - If I get the OK from you I'll carry out the
refactoring during this week.

Greets and thanks,
Sebastian