[TYPO3-50-general] Coding Guidelines: Rule for long criteria line breaks - Voting

Tim Eilers tim.eilers at web.de
Fri Aug 29 20:23:38 CEST 2008

Patrick-Emil Zörner schrieb:
> Ahoj,
>
> 2008/8/28 Tim Eilers <tim.eilers at web.de>:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> while coding Sniffs and reading other people code i often jumped about
>> long criterias which where breaked into several lines, which is conform
>> to our currenct coding guideline rule:
>>
>> ----
>> if (weHaveALotOfCriteria() &&
>>   notEverythingFitsIntoOneLine() ||
>>   youJustTendToLikeIt()) {
>>      doThis();
>> ----
>>
>> While this looks easy to read it can be very difficult in complex code.
>> I would suggest to change the rule to this:
>>
>> ----
>> if (weHaveALotOfCriteria()
>>   && notEverythingFitsIntoOneLine()
>>   || youJustTendToLikeIt()) {
>>      doThis();
>> ----
>
> Please read a smiley after each of my rather provocative sentences so
> I do not need to make one after each sentence.

True irony doesn't need smilys.

>> Advantage:
>> You clearly can see, that the line belongs to a longer criteria.
>
> Can you?

Ok, i should have added "when i begin to read the line". In the first
solution you need to read some code until you notice that.

>> I am interested in your opinion, what do you think?
>
> Is this going to lead to a discussion tabs vs. spaces, 8 spaces vs. 4 spaces?

Why not?

>> If all or many will agree, i would also do a Sniff, which checks it.
>
> What PHP really lacks is a tool like perltidy [1]. Whatever it does
> you will know what it will look like in the end. So you can have your
> own script running over the code when getting the source. And before
> you check in your code you run "phptidy".

That looks really nice. So we could add a project named FLOW3CGLFormatter.

The problem is, that it has to be in the developers development
environment. Since everyone could use any editor he wants that could be
quiet difficult.

By the way:
perltidy formats long criteria like the second solution i suggested.