[TYPO3-50-general] Contributing to TYPO3 v5 / FLOW3: License Agreement

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Tue Apr 29 16:57:24 CEST 2008

Hi Steffen,

Am 29.04.2008 um 16:12 schrieb Steffen Müller:

> I can't find a passage in the agreement about GPL 2.
> Does that mean that we shall grant a copyright licence, but not in
> conjunction with GPL?
>
> Confused about the legal mumbo-jumbo.

I admit that this legal stuff is not really fun to deal with. We
discussed among the
active members if the text could be simplified or use better wording
but then decided
in favour of using the original text from the Apache Foundation to
keep ourselves from
legal trouble.

The reason why GPL is not mentioned in the CLA is that it has nothing
to do with it.
The agreement is a contract between you and the Association in which
you allow the
Association to use your contribution in any way which is conform to
the Association's
goal as a non-profit organisation and Open Source project.

This implies that the Association could at a later point decide to
license TYPO3 under
GPL v3 or FreeBSD license or whatever makes most sense. Without having
a CLA with all
contributors, the license practically can never be changed again. Even
dual licensing
would be possible.

All this is quite important because we hope that parts of TYPO3 (such
as FLOW3) will
be used by many people and some of them might not be able to use for
example GPL v3
licensed code (because they are using a more liberate license which is
not compatible).

Does that shed some light on the mumbo-jumbo?

Cheers,
robert