[TYPO3-50-general] Feature request: Running different versions of a class in parallel

Elmar Hinz elmar07 at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 18 17:18:13 CEST 2007

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] wrote:

> Elmar Hinz wrote: on 11.10.2007 08:30:
>
>> I want to come up with a feature request for v5. Maybe it's already
>> planned, maybe it's an inbuild feature of PHP6.
>>
>> Today one of the big issues with TYPO3 is backward compatibility. Once a
>> class has an API and a behaviour, you can't simply optimize it, because
>> of the dependent classes. You can extend it, but you can't freely change
>> it.
>
> The idea of having a clear interface is exactly that you are able to
> optimize the "inner workings". You just don't change the interface.

Hi Ernesto,

let's assume we have a kind "fetchmail" service. The extension key
is "fetch". There is a class "fetcher". The old version implements
interface "fetcherInterface1", the new version the "fetcherInterface2.

The maintainer removes the old interface not to have additional work.

We have two other extensions. One depends on "feetcherInterface1" the other
on "feetcherInterface2".

How does it work? How can we use the old and the new fetcher extensions in
parallel?

Regards

Elmar