[TYPO3-50-general] New GUI for the TYPO3 5.x branch

Andreas Balzer typo3 at andreas-balzer.de
Thu May 31 20:51:05 CEST 2007

Corrado schrieb:
> Jonas Dübi wrote:
>
>> I actually prefere PHP because Java needs more complex server
>> environments and has to be compiled and needs more time for development...
>
> I my be wrong but with Java:
>
> 1) The development time would be slower at the beginning but when the
> framework is ready then it would probably be the same, more or less.
> 2) The design would be a bit more robust and elegant (it forces you into
> using certain coding practises).
> 3) The environment would be more or less the same
> 4) With an appropriate API it would still be possible to attach PHP modules
> (or Ruby, or whatever).
>
> What do you think?
>
> Best,
Hi!
I just like to participate in this conversation if possible.
Java has three major cons. Firtsly you have to download the client
software. It is quite big. Then you have to problem to load the applets
of whatsoever. Is it unrealistic to say that a TYPO3 UI in Java would
take hours to load with a dial up connection? I mean I don't know it,
but it's a little bit scary to me.

The next - and last - con I would like to mention is, that it's somehow
strange that a CMS that creates (X)HTML websites uses a Java UI and not
the same language that it should produce as output. I mean a Java client
would be nice. Yes. But I would preffer a xhtml version with dhtml etc
because it's somehow what TYPO3 does.. (if we don't look at those cool
things like pdf creation, etc)

Please know that I'm no expert at this topic and I'm not the person who
is able to code any of those great technologies for an UI.

So in the end you should chose what you consider the best but more
important what you are happy to code.

just my 2 cents.

Greetings
Andreas