[TYPO3-50-general] OrthoScript

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Sun May 13 10:37:01 CEST 2007

Elmar Hinz schrieb:

> I fully agree that TS objects should controll real objects instead of
> functions like in infamous class.tslib_content.php.
>
> But I have serious doubts, if it is a wise idea to use objects for the
> internal represantation of the mere TS configuration. That looks a little
> to eager to me.

But where would you store the objects then? Within the configuration tree?

> Kind of oversized. Performance decreases. The work to manipulate the
> configuration within your PHP code increaes. You can't overwrite a simple
> array anymore. I wonder, what shall be gained, while such a high price is
> to pay.

I think you get other things from it as eg you don't have to read and
parse the configuration any more. The configuration will BE the object,
ie config "vars" will be properties of the object.

> I see parallels to the decision to store translations into XML. That was
> politically corret at that time, but technically unnecessary. Providing
> translations became a burdon since then. UTF-8 translations in typoscript
> format would have been an improvement.

I don't get you point. The external XML strings in UTF8 are cached in
serialzed arrays for retrieval. Using XML makes it easy to handle the
actual trnalsatoin process (= creating and maintanin the text).

What went wrong was that TYPO3 does now a double encoding thing. That's
just an implementation problem which can be solved (did that already for
the BE), this has nothing to do with XML or UTF-8 per se.

What I don't like is the XML data of flexforms in the records. As Mysql
doesn't support XML directly I would have used serialized arrays for
internal storage. Guess what, I avoid TV just for that reason ;-)

Masi