[TYPO3-50-general] Thought about new Translation-Handling

Joerg Schoppet joerg at schoppet.de
Mon Jan 8 08:10:14 CET 2007

Hi all,

actually I think it is a little bit too early in the development-process
to talk about translation-handling in TYPO3 5, but as I just read a very
interesting article in the german php mag [1][2]. I want to share my
thought about it.

The main thing is to use gettext out of php as one of the wide-spreaded
localization-tools around.
The biggest problem with gettext is, that php have to be compiled with
the config --with-gettext and this can be a problem. But here is the
solution, the php-script "php-gettext" [3]. This php-script emulates
every gettext-call (e.g. do not use gettext(), but T_gettext()). If the
gettext extension is available, the script simple pass everything to it,
if not it emulates the behavior of gettext.

With this you have the power of gettext (wide-spreaded, fast,
development tools, ...) and a fallback-solution so that a requirement
for TYPO3 5 would be only "gettext (recommendet)".

Kind Regards

Joerg Schoppet

[1] http://phpmagazin.de
[2]