[TYPO3-50-general] Discussion to CodingStandards

Malte Jansen mail at maltejansen.de
Thu Dec 13 17:17:41 CET 2007

Hi,

"Comment to Spaces / Tabs "

Space will cost a lot space if you have many spaces in one file
Spaces are used in "Common License" and "PHPdoc-Comments".

The Common License counts ~450 spaces in each file. So each file has 450
Bytes 'overhead'. Instead of only perhaps 40 Bytes using Tabs.
So the overhead is very big with several hundred files.
Of course the same issue counts for using it in PHPdoc-Comments.

What about a default tab indent? Each editor-application supports
changing this value. But by default most editor-applications uses 4
spaces for one tab (If I remember all editors, which I had tested).
If everybody would use the recommended indent it would be no problem...

Cheers,

Malte