[TYPO3-50-general] New pages, a roadmap and more news ...

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Fri Sep 29 11:31:40 CEST 2006

Hi Martin,

Martin Kutschker schrieb:
> Robert Lemke schrieb:
>>
>> In the pipeline: After some brainstorming Karsten is now preparing an
>> initial draft for our coding guidelines. I imagine that we even have
>> something like a coding style guide and a glossary which helps you
>> choosing the right names for variables, class names etc.
>
> Does this mean *everything* will be written from scratch?

Some components will be written from the scratch (like the Data Access
Component) others will likely be started from the scratch but then
filled or connected with code from the TYPO3 4.x branch (code
recycling). I propose that we try to recycle as much code as possible to
get started more quickly and then refactor it.

About the coding guidelines: The goal is to build a TYPO3 version which
is as intuitive as possible for the developer. Imagine you have to
create a variable which contains something like a title - then you have
to decide if you call it "title", "label", "description", ... whatever.
It would help a lot if everywhere in TYPO3 the same names are used for
the same items, maybe a glossary is a good solution to enforce that.

Anyway, it won't be possible to have a clean 5.0 from the start - but at
least we have to define the direction.

Cheers,
robert