[TYPO3-50-general] Version-based extension folders?
joerg at schoppet.de
Thu Nov 30 20:41:03 CET 2006
actually I saw the great podcast about TYPO3 5 and thought a little bit
about the folder-structure of the extensions (components).
First, the general structure is obvious for me, but I would suggest to
have an additional version-folder, e.g.:
Why I think about this?
Well, sometimes I have the follow problem:
I have installed ext1 in version 1.0.1.
Now, a new version (1.1.0) is available with bigger changes (e.g.
After I have uploaded the new version and before I can press the
"Update"-button in the extension-manager, somebody access the site with
the extension and gets an erro :-(
With the above mentioned method you can download the extension in a
first step and then in a second active the new version and update
- If you suddenly recognise an unwanted behavoir of the new version,
you can "simple" downgrade to the old one.
- You have a definitive point in time when the new version and all
changes get active
- If a new version of an extension needs another version of another
extension -> no problem
- The "loaded extension list" (or whatever will be actual in TYPO3 5)
have to be extended with the version number (perhaps as an array?)
- The extension-manager have to be changed a lot (I think)
What do you think about this?
More information about the TYPO3-project-5_0-general