[TYPO3-50-general] Version-based extension folders?

Joerg Schoppet joerg at schoppet.de
Thu Nov 30 20:41:03 CET 2006

Hi all,

actually I saw the great podcast about TYPO3 5 and thought a little bit
about the folder-structure of the extensions (components).

First, the general structure is obvious for me, but I would suggest to
have an additional version-folder, e.g.:
- general_extension_folder
	- news
		- 2_5
			- classes
			- doc
			- ...
		- 3_0_1
			- classes
			- doc
			- ...
		- ...
	- ...

Why I think about this?
Well, sometimes I have the follow problem:
I have installed ext1 in version 1.0.1.
Now, a new version (1.1.0) is available with bigger changes (e.g.
db-fields, ...)
After I have uploaded the new version and before I can press the
"Update"-button in the extension-manager, somebody access the site with
the extension and gets an erro :-(
With the above mentioned method you can download the extension in a
first step and then in a second active the new version and update
everything.
Advantage:
	- If you suddenly recognise an unwanted behavoir of the new version,
you can "simple" downgrade to the old one.
	- You have a definitive point in time when the new version and all
changes get active
	- If a new version of an extension needs another version of another
extension -> no problem

Premises:
	- The "loaded extension list" (or whatever will be actual in TYPO3 5)
have to be extended with the version number (perhaps as an array?)
	- The extension-manager have to be changed a lot (I think)

What do you think about this?

Regards

Joerg Schoppet