[TYPO3-50-general] directory layout

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Fri Nov 10 10:19:33 CET 2006

Hi Martin,

Martin Kutschker schrieb:

> IMHO the suggested directory layout repeats a central error of current
> TYPO3. It doesn not separate "web resources", ie all files that must be
> read and delivered directly by the Webserver (typically images, media,
> JS and CSS files, dynamic resources like processed images), and "system
> resources", ie all files that must be read but may not be delivered
> directly directly (PHP code, configuration files, temporary and cache
> data).
>
> So I propose a "DataRoot" and a "WebRoot".
>
> This does not really contraditc with the current suggestion, but it
> imposes one major change for packages (ex extensions I thimk). Packages
> may live in both directorys. The code lives in "DataRoot" but any
> additional resouces may be found in "WebRoot". The new Package Manager
> (successor to EM) handles this, ie one install of a package-file it
> splits the contents and on export it merges the files again.
>
> The benefit is a layout that has a builtin access protection that does
> not need complicatin access restrictions in the web server.

I agree and that is also what I intended with the layout. The rule is
that the packages directory is not accessible from the web, the only
directory which is public is the filecache/public/ directory and the
central index.php file.

That means: If a component (extension, plugin ...) wants to provide an
image for example which should be accessible from the web, it has to
upload that file to the content repository during the installation
procedure (or later) and then the file will be mirrored into the
filecache directory (eg. filecache/public/packages/ttnews/myimage.gif)

Would that solve your request?

Cheers,
robert