[TYPO3-50-general] directory layout

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Fri Nov 10 09:44:57 CET 2006

Hi!

IMHO the suggested directory layout repeats a central error of current
TYPO3. It doesn not separate "web resources", ie all files that must be
read and delivered directly by the Webserver (typically images, media, JS
and CSS files, dynamic resources like processed images), and "system
resources", ie all files that must be read but may not be delivered
directly directly (PHP code, configuration files, temporary and cache data).

So I propose a "DataRoot" and a "WebRoot".

This does not really contraditc with the current suggestion, but it imposes
one major change for packages (ex extensions I thimk). Packages may live in
both directorys. The code lives in "DataRoot" but any additional resouces
may be found in "WebRoot". The new Package Manager (successor to EM)
handles this, ie one install of a package-file it splits the contents and
on export it merges the files again.

The benefit is a layout that has a builtin access protection that does not
need complicatin access restrictions in the web server.

Masi