[TYPO3-50-general] 5.0: TYPO3 is now final - a progress report from Robert and me

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Thu Nov 9 18:40:24 CET 2006

Hi there,

some update on what is going on in the 5.0 universe...

Robert and I came back from the PHP conference in Frankfurt yesterday,
where we fetched quite some inspiration from the sessions we attended to
as well from fruitful discussions among ourselves (including Kasper) as
well as with developers from other projects.

The major decision inspired by that, the switch to PHP6, has already
been announced here by Robert, so that's no news.

More interesting is probably that we are making some real progress, and
that some more people joined the effort by now. While I am writing this
email, Robert is working on creating a podcast from the video sources we
recorded a few minutes ago, so expect that the next days. It'll provide
an overview of what we did - so instead of promoting us, I'll praise two
other people instead. :)

The driving force behind the testing framework will be Sven Gähle for
now. For one thing he will propose a concept for testing within the 5.0
project, not limited to unit testing. But since we need unit testing
very soon, this will be another part that will be worked on very soon.
We are looking forward to the first results!

Ronny Unger will be working on completing the Jackrabbit connector,
implementing the interfaces that have not been worked on yet. This will
probably by quite some work - so thanks and a thumbs up to him! Since he
will need to run some tests rather soon than later, he'll also be
working on the testing framework.

If any of you want to join those efforts, or have ideas to share, feel
free to write to the 5.0 mailing list (or newsgroup). We need your help
and input!

Regards,
Karsten

PS: For those wondering about the subject: no, there is no final
release. Yet. But have a look at the TYPO3 class:

/**
  * General purpose central core hyper TYPO3 class
  *
  * @package     TYPO3
  * @subpackage  Core
  * @version     $Id: class.TYPO3.php 13 2006-11-09 16:31:51Z robert $