[TYPO3-50-general] UTF-16

Patrick Gaumond patrick at typo3quebec.org
Wed Nov 8 15:36:37 CET 2006

Robert Lemke wrote:

> What do you think? Use PHP6? Use UTF-16 for the PHP files or UTF-8?

Here comes the non-technical point-of-view:

Who are our clients?

The question is (again) important because considering the actual
PHP5-on-shared-hosting fiasco...

So, do we restrain ourselves by doing double and triple workaround
development or we use cutting edge with the idea that TYPO3 will be, in
the future, for people with full control over their web servers?

My impression at the moment considering the initial roadmap published at
http://typo3.org/teams/5.0-development/roadmap/ is that TYPO3 5.0 will
require such control.

Yes we will lose the "seasoner" CMS newbie trying TYPO3 because it's
supposed to be powerful but at the end we will have a real *Enterprise
CMS*...

One of the important thing to consider will be to clearly state that
future version of TYPO3 in 2 years, will require such control over the
installation. I know right now it's still a matter to debate but on the
other hand, if it's already clear, then it should be officially stated.

Patrick