[TYPO3-50-general] File name conventions for classes and interfaces

Ingo Renner typo3 at ingo-renner.com
Tue Dec 12 03:09:53 CET 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:

Hi Martin,

> Say I have a class MyClass which is no interface and implements no
> interface. And there is the interface MyAPI, which defines an interface.
>
> So the files are called: MyClass.php and MyAPI.php. Is this a problem
> for you?

this is the exact problem with this naming scheme!

> Maybe this was the reason why Java uses the "I" prefix.

probably...

> Otherwise your idea is good.
I fear I have to disagree, but I think it's not a good idea.

> So we have TemplateEngineInterface.php or ITemplateEngine.php but STILL
> SmartyTemplateEngine (pre-/suffix dropped).

in this case only ITemplateEngine would be an interface, the other two
would be classes.

> In the case of implementations of more than one interface I would not
> use any interface name in the file name.

I think I already wrote that in response to Joerg's message, just don't
add the implemented interfaces to the file name. That would lead to
problems if you change which interfaces a class implements.

Ingo