[TYPO3-50-general] Validation

David Toshack david at vaultin.com
Wed Dec 6 02:35:14 CET 2006

I definitely agree that reinventing the wheel would be a very bad thing
and HTML_QuickForm seems to me like the most widely adopted and most
suitable PHP form handler.

I have been looking into HTML_QuickForm lately. That would be my form
handler of choice. It has some great, expandable validation features.

It is also the basis for the Zend Framework's proposed Zend_Form for
form handling. Which works well with the already approved
Zend_Filter_Input and Zend_Validator for validation.

I would assume that TYPO3 5.0 would go the Zend route for form handling
and if a new form handler is to be implemented for 4.x I would be
leaning towards HTML_QuickForm. Which would also serve as a good basis
for the Zend option in 5.0.

There is also the Formidable form handling extension which I do not know
much about. Other than the fact that everything is defined by XML, which
differs a lot from the Zend Framework way of doing things.

Maybe we could build some TYPO3 specific validation based on
HTML_QuickForm rules for the tx_lib framework. Then hopefully for 4.5,
use it for t3lib_BEfunc.

I would love to know what you all think about this as there are many ECT
projects on the back burner that hang in the balance of a decent form
handler.

Cheers,
David