[Typo3-windows] Install

Joel Finkel finkel at sdi.com
Tue Jun 17 02:02:26 CEST 2003

Michael,

I believe the document misinterprets the Microsoft EULA.  The EULA
specifies:

| You may permit a maximum of ten (10) computers or other electronic
| devices (each a "Device") to connect to the Workstation Computer to
| utilize the services of the Product solely for File and Print services,
| Internet Information Services, and remote access (including connection
| sharing and telephony services).

This simply means that you cannot use Windows XP as a File and/or Print
server for more than 10 machines.  Furthermore, you cannot use Windows XP to
run IIS, connection sharing, or telephony services, which are provided by
the Product, if more than 10 clients are connected at any one time.  Your
legal limit is 10 connections to any one service provided by the Product.

| The ten connection maximum includes any indirect connections made through
| "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools or aggregates
| connections.

This means that 10 connections is 10 connections.  No fooling around.

I see nothing here that says that you cannot use the Product to run
third-party software, such as Apache, to run a web server.  As far as web
servers go, it only says you cannot use XP's IIS to server more than 10
clients at any one time.

The next clause that is analyzed in the document deals with remote computers
directing the execution of code.  We are beyond the realm of interest.

I think a court of law would have a field day with Microsoft lawyers who
took someone to court because they used XP to run an Apache server to test
some code.  Microsoft has bigger fish to fry, anyway.

-Joel