[Typo3-windows] [Typo3-install] [Typo3-dev] Introduction of an automated, self extracting installer for typo3.org

@4u 4u at direct-netware.de
Mon Jul 14 18:45:31 CEST 2003

Information: This message is an rewritten message from the Typo3-dev list.
I'm doing this because I was recommended to do so by "Michael Stucki"
***
Please do ONLY answer at Typo3.dev and / or Typo3.install.general
***

Me:

Hello,

I'm currently trying to find user support for a program I created for
developers in PHP. Its an self extracting installer for PHP programs meaning
not to replace existing installers, but allowing users to upload two single
(compressed) files for installing an application like typo3.org - you can
think of this like the InstallShield Wizard for Windows XP.

I know, and I'm sure many PHP developers do know, that this tool will NOT
run on most SAFE_MODE-enabled areas. But for the rest and installs on
tripod.de (ok, who want to do this?) where SAFE_MODE is enabled and it still
works - it really helps because you only have to upload two single files
(typo3.org compressed package "dummy" have a size of about 9 MB; like the
original Zip-package; but hey - instead of uploading 36 MB ... :)) and it
automatically sets CHMODs.

Most developers - at least for my former projects - had many support
requests about CHMODing and so on.

Please have a look at:
http://www.direct-netware.de/redirect.php?web;en;projects;ipk;ni (int)
http://www.direct-netware.de/redirect.php?web;de;projects;ipk;ni (de)
and judge yourself.

My question: Are anybody here interested in this "technology" - released
under GNU GPL and GNU LGPL (the core iPK-class).

Thanks for supporting and answering,
@4u

***
Answer for "Michael Stucki" including his message
***