[TYPO3-UG US] Install help

Thomas Hughes tnhughes369 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 03:07:57 CET 2013

Hello all!

I am a newbie to TYPO3, as new as they come.  A friend of mine wanted me to
create a website for him and requested TYPO3 as he had one done for him
before when he was living in Germany.  I told him I would give it a shot
and heard good things about it as i started reading up on it.

Long story short, I cannot install the product; can't get past the Install
Tool.

Short story, long, I bought a book on it to help me install and learn but
it seems to be outdated as the print screens on the pages aren't correct.
Also it gives me a lot of instruction on how to configure it via a command
line however, I am using a web-hosting company so I don't have access to
the servers.  I can only FTP to them.  So I unzipped the Introduction
Package 6.0, made sure that the php level was above 5.3 on the server and
painfully FTPed the directories to the web-hosted server.

After the Install Tool came up on the screen and I created the
ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL file and placed it in the proper directory and I
created a MySQL datase on the server, I attempted to proceed with the
Install tool.  I entered the user name and password for the database and
since the dtabase is not hosted on the same server, I changed the
"localhost" to the IP address of the database server.

The next screen asks for me to create a new dataase or use an existing one
from the drop down box as seen below:

You have two options:

   -
   - Create a new database (recommended):

   Enter a name for your TYPO3 database.

   The name has to match one of these names/patterns (% is a wild card):
      - lissmacweb

   - Select an EMPTY existing database:

   Any tables used by TYPO3 will be overwritten.
   Select database

I know that I connected to the proper database as it is listed there in the
middle "lissmacweb", however, it is not in the drop down and when I attempt
to create a new one, i get the following error:

The following errors occured

   - Could not create database 'lissmac' (...not created)

I am guessing it has something to do with the fact the the database server
is not a localhost.  Has anyone ever had to deal with this?  How do i get
around it or past it so that i can start developing in TYPO3?

Thank you for listening, your time, your patience and any help that you may
be able to give.

-thomas