[TYPO3-UG US] What should support.typo3.org do?

Ron Hall ron at busynoggin.com
Sat Dec 1 16:41:13 CET 2007

Hi Chris,

In regards to your question on how other groups got started, I can
only speak for the Dallas group, but it started with three of us that
knew each other and were involved in TYPO3 development. We have never
made the meetings fancy. We just got together, discussed anything on
our mind regarding TYPO3 and helped each other with issues and
challenges we had pending.

As we met, others started making contact with us to the point where we
have about 8 regulars at the meetings and probably that many more that
come now and again. After the first of the year we will probably start
taking a portion of each meeting and going through one topic in TSref
to give a little more structure. We happen to have some folks who do
very good work in TYPO3 so if we need to know something usually
someone has experience with the issue. We have one meeting a month but
have not tried to make the support or group involvement any more
extensive than that. I am sensitive the the members time and believe
that the other TYPO3 support mechanisms (documentation, mailing lists)
should handle most technical questions.

The group has always been helpful to me even when there were just 3 of
us meeting. We also enjoy each others company which helps a lot and
is, in my opinion, the key to keeping a group together and moving
forward.

One exercise you might want to try to give some structure to the group
is to take a chapter per meeting from the "Mastering Typoscript" book
by Packt Publishing and work through it. They also have a new book
"Building Websites with TYPO3" which might also be a good candidate
for the exercise. Much of how you would want to conduct meetings will
be dependent on the people in the group--their personalities and level
of TYPO3 knowledge

Ron Hall
Dallas, Texas

blog: "Adventures in TYPO3" at www.busynoggin.com/blog