[TYPO3-UG US] typo3.us thoughts

Jennifer Lynch jennifer at tekdevelopment.com
Tue Sep 12 21:13:46 CEST 2006

Boys, here's your enlightenment.  The Dodo is extinct because men found it
such good sport to shoot them. Taking advantage of the fact that the Dodo
didn't know to be wary of humans, they could decimate the poor devils and
brag about how many they got.

What does this have to do with typo3us?  In the time I worked with Alex and
Michelle to generate content for the typo3us site, we got a lot of promises
from you boys, we got a lot of blustering and psuedo-CIO posturing, we got a
LOT of criticism and "better" ideas of how to proceed.  What we didn't get
was content, support, encouragement, or appreciation.  We carried on while
some of you tried to set up your own splinter group.  We carried on while
you debated how your companies would individually profit.  We carried on
while you played one-upsmanship with each other.  We carried on while you
contacted the EURO typo3 folks to complain.

Now Michael asks the question about "needing to create a US marketing based
initiative for Typo3".  Isn't this need to ignore the typo3us site
initiative already there and the work that's been done (instead of doing the
work you promised to do) perhaps motivated by less than altruistic impulses?
If you couldn't get behind the well-organized and methodical construction of
the truly worthwhile site that Michelle provided, how in the world will you
manage to put together one of your own with all the competing ideas and egos
that have come to the fore on this list? And, call me crazy, but I have this
real sense that having a woman (especially one as professional, talented,
and intelligent as Michelle) at the head of the typo3us is just a little too
much for what seems to be a boy's playing field for you.

Now back to the Dodo.  If you don't want your effort to promote typo3 in the
US to go the way of the Dodo, you'd better put aside your ego-trips, your
carping, and your lust for personal glory and begin to cooperate and support
the ones who are really in there doing the work.  I can't speak for
Michelle, but for myself, I've retired from the fray.  To continue working
for people who undermine the efforts made without doing anything themselves
is just too masochistic an enterprise for me.  I'm old enough to have seen
this kind of thing happen too many times--this Dodo's getting off the firing
range for good.

Jennifer Lynch