[TYPO3-UG US] Fwd: Typo3: .ca & .us consortium ideas

Michael Cannon michael-typo3 at cannonbose.com
Sun Oct 1 17:14:09 CEST 2006

All,

Below is part of my conversation with Daniel Hinderink, Vice-Chairman
of TYPO3 Association.

I'm interested in seeing our efforts put into typo3.com to revitalize
it as a our global front and then building up a typo3instiute.org as
a means to offer TYPO3 approved training to consumers and suppliers.

Thoughts?

Michael

-----
Michael Cannon
President of Cannonbose, LLC
Tel    : +1 (603) 294-4418         Fax : +1 (802) 609-2776

Begin forwarded message:

On Oct 1, 2006, at 06:47 , Daniel Hinderink [TYPO3] wrote:

Hi Michael,

> In any case, I would like to see the build up of a community and a
> fostering of healthy competition.
>
> For building up the community specifically with benefits and how, I
> need help from others.

I am quite sure that the more successful this effort will be, the
more you
will be able to create an awareness for TYPO3 and a demand for
professional
services. However this requires long term thinking and consequent
action.

> I'm also trying to figure out why typo3.com doesn't provide the basis
> for building up a community that folks like yourself view as the job
> of typo3.us. Can you help with that?

The short answer is: because TYPO3.org does that.

> How about this, could you please explain the real differences
> regarding target audience and methods for reaching them between
> typo3.com and typo3.org?

I would say .com is merely an information site for those few consumers
looking at different products themselves instead of trusting a
consultant.
Usually software like ours is "sold" by a service provider, consequently
supporting those multipliers through .org is the most effective, though
indirect marketing tool.

A need for a site like .com really only arises in a rather mature
market,
which I understand is not the case in the US at present. You might
have s
different view on that, in which case I believe joining in an effort to
revive .com might be an interesting alternative to building your own
site
from scratch.

Cheers

Daniel