[TYPO3-UG US] Status of TYPO3.us

Michelle Heizer michelle at typo3.us
Tue Jan 17 23:01:44 CET 2006

Hello!

It's been a long time and I wanted to give everyone an update on the
project.

Behind the scenes, Floyd Arguello has been making a lot of progress on
the press section. He's identified trade shows and has been working on
press releases. Greg Remington has been busy moving the NPO site to
XHTML and into TYPO3. We certainly appreciate his hard work! Karine Joly
has submitted a case study about the College of St. Elizabeth website
and has also added herself to the list of consultancies on TYPO3.org.
Let's give Karine a warm welcome as it's nice to see our community
grow!

I also received a case study from Diego Semenzato of Webformat that
talks about his ecommerce site, ShirleyWorld. Diego has already provided
a product description of his company's shop extension, as well as
ecommerce information for our solutions section. This is a wonderful
example of how a company can showcase their talents by volunteering on
this project. Let's follow this example!

With that said, I've made a list of tasks that need to be completed for
our April 1 launch of the website. Thanks to everyone who's helped to
bring it this far.

A special note about our LT3 package -- this package is gaining a lot of
interest in the TYPO3 community. Right now, our current TYPO3
documentation is so out-of-date that the installation manual has
screenshots from TYPO3 3.2a3. This doesn't reflect the true quality of
TYPO3 to our potential users.

So if you have benefited from using TYPO3, it's time to give something
back to the community by donating your time to this project.

In the next few days, I'll be setting up the LT3 demo sites as well as
the sections on TYPO3.us. In the mean time, please email me if you are
interested in writing any of the items below or adding content into the
TYPO3.us site. I will set you up with a username and password for the
site.

TYPO3.us April 1 Launch

Solutions Section
Enterprise still needed

Products Section
Would like to have:
Blog
Digital Asset Management
Direct Mail
Forum
News

Partners
All companies and individuals that have donated time to the project will
be listed with a profile. Each individual will need to approve their
profile before it is listed. Other suggestions for this section are
welcome!

Support

LT3 Package
*needed before April 1 launch

LT3 site will be located at http://lt3.typo3.us/
LT3 documentation will be located at http://lt3docs.typo3.us

General Guidelines
1. When writing text, adding screenshots or Wink movies, please leave
out version numbers of TYPO3 and supporting software. We want to keep it
as version-neutral as possible.
2. Use the default TYPO3 skin for the backend screenshots and movies.
3. Use US English spelling and punctuation.

Manuals (based on Virgil's ideas)

*Manual 1. Installation and Configuration
a. Will cover the basic installation process, along with configuration
and explanation of what is going on in the process (better explanation
of database setup, ImageMagick, etc.)
b. Operating system specific pages/sections
c. Install tool configuration

Manual 2. Learning TYPO3

*Section a. General principles
*1. Backend and frontend
*2. Pagetree
*3. Special pages
*4. Pages and Page content
*5. Backend modules

*Section b. Templates

*1. Introduction to building templates
*2. Classic Template Building
3. Template Auto-parser
4. TemplaVoila

Section c. Implementing extensions
(not in order)
1. News
2. Indexed Search
3. Multilanguage Menu
4. User Registration and Login
5. Newsletter Registration and Direct Mail
6. Blog
7. Forum
8. Poll
9. Tip-a-friend
10. Survey
11. RealURL
12. Calendar
13. Image Gallery
14. DAM
15. Workflow, Versioning, Workspaces

Section d. Building Extensions - based on an extension created
especially for the NPO site

Section e. Accessibility in TYPO3

1. Considerations
2. Extensions needed for accessibility

*Section f. Where to go from here - an explanation of the documentation
structure, support forums, and where to find consultancies to provide
TYPO3 services