[TYPO3-UG US] typo3 v4

Sander Vogels sander at netcreators.nl
Tue Apr 11 09:10:17 CEST 2006

 From the press-release:

TYPO3's branding efforts goes beyond a new logo as it can be found in
the software itself. Version 4.0 offers a complete redesign of the
backend interface. Not only is TYPO3 sporting a new modern look for its
administrative functions, a new '"look and feel" is also offered for
TYPO3's content editors, making it a corporate identity to grab hold of.

With version 3.8 having eliminated numerous minor errors as well as
having optimized the internal operation of TYPO3 down to the last
detail, version 4.0 had a clear path to focus on matters of
applicability and function. Besides the compatibility with PHP5 and
expansions regarding data integrity, fundamentally new functions were
integrated into TYPO3.

With version 4.0, the WYSIWYG Editor, HTMLArea, comes pre-installed as
the standard editor in the TYPO3 backend. Along with its impressive list
of features, this extension makes intuitive entry of content possible
across different browsers and operating systems. With version 4.0,
useful features like 'drag and drop' functionality  within the page-tree
and filelist view as well as 100% true-colour support for all image
processes has been built into the standard product. Additionally, a
completely integrated database abstraction layer (DBAL) supports the
connection to DBMS systems which is often demanded by larger
installations. This enables database systems such as Oracle and Postgres
to be used by TYPO3 for data storage.

In addition, the new combination of the 'versioning’, ‘workspaces’ and
‘workflow’ extensions constitute a base for targeted administration and
publication of various content, versions and entire TYPO3 page
structures, making it easier to control large amounts of content within
an organization. With the revolutionary 'workspaces' extension, editors
can now select  a variety of objects (pages, content, even entire
websites) all at once and edit the bundle without changing any live
content.

TemplaVoilà, an alternate XML-based templating engine, celebrates its
first major release. It is now seamlessly integrated with the TYPO3
framework and has improvements in localization and translation handling.

In addition to the new backend features, the frontend has also received
a facelift. Thanks to several modifications to the CSS Styled Content
extension, TYPO3 is now in the position to produce standards compliant
XHTML, laying the foundation for accessible (WAI compatible) websites.
The Indexed Search extension has been thoroughly revised as well and has
increased in both speed and function, making mass indexing of several
TYPO3 sites and its content possible. Enhancements include crawler
improvements, template support and the indexing of Oasis OpenDocument files.

Already updating? ;-)

Sander