[TYPO3-UG US] New Design for TYPO3.us

Gabriel Anast gabriel at anast.org
Sat Oct 29 00:04:54 CEST 2005

One thing that I think we should do (whoever "we" is... I know this is
not a simple matter...) is allow template switching... or make a dummy
site that allows template switching. This will accomplish several things:

a) If someone needs a more accessible site template, they can make one
that features that idea... and if the template is robust enough it can
be included as one of the templates on the demo site.

b) It will encourage artistic types to join typo3, since they can better
promo their work...

c) It will allow the general user base to "vote by usage" on the most
compelling themes / templates

d) Help graphic designers to know how to make templates as extensions!

Ruv: the template is great! I especially like the "working man's" feel
of the design... it seems to meld well with a lot of the imagery that
Kasper has used in the past. Excellent work.

<critique>
I think the main section (under the graphic header) should be (1) main
content area with (1) right column (eliminate the Latest News Column)...
three columns is too cagey. I know long pages are a "NO" in web design,
but I favor long over busy... um... and either put the top links in a
dissociated top-bar a la blogger.com, or move them under the header
image to bring them closer to the rest of the content.

Not sure what your plans are for the "Site Help Bar," but the idea of a
"FAQ palette" seems *very intuitive* to me... this could also contain
future surveys & polls... This is a very clever idea that I have never
seen before, but that (if you don't mind) I will probably begin using in
my own designs...
</critique>

Finally, this is not a design note, but a "how to sell the venue" note.
This site should really have a lot of "faces." The first thing I noticed
when I saw this mockup was, "Hey, that's not Ruven... and who's head is
that?" (regarding the "May 2006" fake ug image...)

I think that even though this is a geek community, this site will double
its traffic if there is always a "someone real" vignette including a
photo/photos, a mini article or interview... something really newsy...
almost gossip column style. A reason for geek's wives/girlfriends to
say, "TYPO3 is cool, that programmer [Bob] is really funny!" [no offense
to actual girl geeks that may be reading...] Start with the main family:
Kasper, Martin, Rupert, Robert... then move to everyone that we can get
pictures of: a little article about what extensions they have written,
where they live, if they have family, what music/movies/books they like,
what their personal or business URL is, their Amazon wish list,
flickr/smugmug user-id... heck, just make a web survey and give notice
in the English user list... you will get hundreds of cool bios to post!
I know this doesn't seem like a very direct way of making TYPO3 more
usable... but it will make it more popular, and that is half the battle!

--gabe

--
I was made for lovin' you... --R'n'R Worship Circus