[TYPO3-UG US] Documentation team update

Gregory Remington greg at mediatech.net
Sun Oct 23 21:08:25 CEST 2005

Dimitri Tarassenko wrote:
> How about we start building the beginners manuals as the new
> QuickStart is built? This way we can start from the very beginning,
> i.e. Planning, Graphical Design, Graphics to HTML (with specific Typo3
> requirements for HTML templates), Core and Dummy Installation, HTML
> template ->Typo3 template and so on.

Let's keep it as simple and short as possible to maximize are limited
time. This is a large set of tasks and we could start with how we wish
the manual to look in the begining then how we would like to to look
towards the finish. If we structure development of the manual in stages
like we are considering for typ3.us we could have something useful to
work with fairly soon without over committing more time than we
realistically have.

> If we create the Table of Contents now, then whoever is going to do a
> particular stage of the QuickStart can also write the chapter on how
> they did it. We probably should do it in Wiki first (so anyone could
> contribute) and then convert to OO/PDF.

Can we plan out on the wiki what extensions and configurations we're
gong to use for the new Quickstart manual? That might give us an idea of
what the manual will look like in terms of chapters.

I can commit some time to template files, simple typoscript setup and
installation. I created a very "basic" template installation instruction
set to prevent people from posting redundant questions at the mediatech
forum. In fact all my documentation is to prevent newbie questions so I
don't waste time answering them over and over and over.

We might we use existing Quickstart documentation as a general guide to
save time or we could do it from scratch to see how we can improve on
the delivery of information to the newbie market. Combining both
approaches may be best so people struggling with the old documentation
have a familiar "outline" to work with. In effect we could create very
"simple" documentation that "compliments" not "competes" with existing
TYPO3 documentation. I believe the simpler we make this the faster we'll
finish ;)

Keep it simple.

Greg