[TYPO3-UG US] First Touch

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Wed Oct 19 23:45:45 CEST 2005

Gabe,

On 10/19/05, Gabriel Anast <gabriel at anast.org> wrote:
> I admit that I might be entirely wrong, but this is an issue that is SO
> easy to change now, but will become SO difficult to change later.

I think we are trying to solve a problem we do not have yet.

Having typo3.us vs. typo3.org or us.typo3.com is very unlikely to
"dilute" the TYPO3 brand if we build the website following the CI
guidelines set by the "mothership". I can see their reason against
painting the logo red white and blue and we probably shouldn't go that
far (although I admit it looked great visually).

I don't think .us is going to quickly get more usage than .org - we
are going to serve a completely different purpose:

- building a local (US/NorthAm) network of developers and, possibly,
match-making with prospective clients here
- organize the process of QA for English-language resources at
typo3.org, extensions and the core, as well as localization for North
American standards (date formats, addresses, etc.)
- introducing US-based newbies to TYPO3 with less "culture shock":)
Whoever "graduates" this "elementary" school of ours is very likely to
move along to global typo3.org for a detailed documentation, global
maillists (when they will be there ;)), bugtracker and so on.

Whether we have it as typo3.us or us.typo3.org is not really important
- we can have BOTH. What's important is that we think twice before
replicating something that's already at typo3.org instead of fixing it
there.

--
Dimitri Tarassenko