[TYPO3-UG US] extension manual update

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Sat Oct 15 23:38:56 CEST 2005

Hi Dimitri,

I'll be emailing them to the extension developer, and will be contacting
the main T3 doc team to find out how we can be a conduit to them. Since
we need to have US-language versions regardless, we'll have a spot for
them on the website. If the main doc team decides to add these to the
main repository, or to make these the "official" English versions of the
docs, our local repository will act like a staging area between the
reviewers and the main repository rather than a place for an end user to
locate documentation. Currently, the (few) reviewed docs are on my hard
drive. Let's see how quickly we can get them moved! :)

Due to the fact that there are over 1000 extensions (at last rumor) to
get through, I'm not doing any track changes. Since our job isn't to
rewrite the manuals, only to "correct" spelling and grammar to be
acceptable to the US market, changes will mostly be things like
capitalization, switching transposed letters, smoothing sentences for
readability, etc. My hope is that the US doc team can do a couple of
things:
1. Do it right the first time, and get the extension developer to approve it
2. Provide a single well-known contact point for extension developers
and the core doc team to send changes or new English manuals that need
to be reviewed.
3. Set up a "merge" system so that new changes can easily be merged with
already-reviewed docs.
4. Provide a single well-known contact point so that if anyone notices
something that needs to be changed, they can contact the doc team
directly instead of posting to the mailing list/forum.
and, of course...
5. Make the docs public so that everyone can use them (see 1st
paragraph...).

We're still working out a lot of the particulars, so any suggestions or
concerns are greatly appreciated. Once I hear back from the core doc
team I'll let everyone know how the workflow can go.

Alex