[TYPO3-UG US] US Marketing Plan

Elmar Hinz elmar.hinz at vcd-berlin.de
Thu Oct 13 21:59:17 CEST 2005

Hello Virgil,

> I am not a developer/programmer. I have lots of tech skills, but I am
> a web designer/content manager. I do this part time, so time is
> precious. I shut down my buisiness for 18 months when I got deployed
> to Iraq and now that I am back I basically am only doing freelance
> work for a political consultant doing campaign and issue web sites.

[...]

> The above said, the real question for me is what exactly does this
> group want. Are you looking to develop TYPO3 in the US so you can
> increase your business? That is fine and would probably mean you
> wouldn't want installation, set up, and administration to be easier.
> Do you want this to be an easy out of the box solution that people
> like me could figure out? I would like that, but that would cost you
> business.

Configuration of TYPO3 is difficult to do. It is time and cost
expensive. Comparing other systems you have the full freedom of design,
but you have to pay a price for this. That is the reason why I call
TYPO3 an enterprise CMS for enterprise issues. For smaller companies or
projects cms like mambo etc. will be more appropriate.

TYPO3 is very interesting for bigger political campaigns to. NGOs like
greenpeace, BUND, VCD etc. already use it in germany.

For smaller NGOs that can't bring up the money to buy professional
configuration I would like to see something like an "pool of aid". A
platform where professionals and volunteers can offer there help for
NGOs of their personal choice. Sponsorship of knowledge and time
resources, not only of money.

Regards

Elmar

--
Climate change 2005: Guatemala, New Orleans, Sahel, Bangladesh, Spain,
Portugal, Austria, Swiss, France, ...