[TYPO3-UG US] Hello from Idaho

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Fri Oct 7 14:17:59 CEST 2005

On 10/7/05, Gregory Remington <greg at mediatech.net> wrote:
> Dennis Shewmaker wrote:
>
> > Currently I am working on a tool used with the Ensim Control Panel for
> > hosting companies that installs Typo3 easily.
>
> Welcome Dennis. Is it possible to create a utility independent of Ensim?
>   What about offering a "stacked" distribution? I picked up on this term
> from Ruv of http://www.enomaly.net
>
> Essentially a stacked distro is a preconfigured TYPO3 install with added
> extensions, pages, etc. Just inflate and go :)

Yes, a shell script can basically do that. However, there are several
points that make it hard to write a script that would work for
everybody, namely:

- how to handle non-core global extensions in a one core - multiple
websites situation
- how to handle porting website's VirtualHost configuration part
(since there is no standard way of doing it and a lot of people place
it either in httpd.conf, /etc/httpd/conf.d, or wherever it may please
them;)

All in all, manual installs are probably too heterogenous to cover all
possibilities in one tool. In the RPMs I do ship a tool that lets you
clone a website with all extensions and everything, but in RPM setup I
do have control over where the core is, how the website config works,
etc. It can easily be converted into pack-n-deploy just by tarring the
files and mysql dump instead of copying them to a new location.
However, the last time I migrated my Typo3 sites to a new server I
found it easier just to copy all the files and transfer the mysql db.

Or, maybe you were thinking of packages similar to quickstart/testsite
based on live configurations?

--
Dimitri Tarassenko