[TYPO3-UG US] Outline of "Learning TYPO3" documentation

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Fri Nov 18 02:46:48 CET 2005

Michelle,

On 11/17/05, Michelle Heizer <michelle at typo3.us> wrote:

> > Section b. Templates (combination of MTB and GoLive tutorials)
>
> I think the basis of this section should be about TypoScript. The
> template autoparser and TV are helpful "extensions", but TS is the heart
> of template-building.
>
> >From my experience the autoparser and TV extensions have done more harm
> than good for newbies. It would be better to start with the principles
> of TS, and then have chapters on the different template-building
> extensions. I personally find these extensions clunky and bloated.
> Reminds me of using something like Visual Basic without learning the
> fundamentals of programming. :)
>
> If people learned TS first, it would actually cut down on the amount of
> documentation and questions.

I am sorry, Michelle, this is just not going to happen. TS is by far
the ugliest part of TYPO3, and it should be introduced in very small
doses in the beginning.

I would agree that TV is clunky and bloated. So, the middle road (MTB
/ autoparser) seems to be the ticket. Most of the people would be
interested in "How can I use my HTML template in TYPO3" rather than
"How do I re-build my HTML template in TYPO3 using TypoScript".

--
Dimitri Tarassenko