[TYPO3-UG US] Re: [Typo3] RTE Bugs or Problems?

Zach Davis zach at castironcoding.com
Sat Nov 12 01:47:19 CET 2005

JoH wrote:

> You should give it a try - or do you still want a forum?
>
> Joey

Tried it -- been using thunderbird to read these newsgroups for years
now, and I still wish we had a forum.

Take the chc_forum newsgroup, for example. Maybe you can tell me how I
can search the messages posted in that newsgroup? Sure, I can
search the headlines in my newsreader, but that isn't very useful.
Perhaps I could configure my newsreader to store all the messages on my
hardrive, but who wants to keep a copy of all that data locally, and
what about the guy who just signed up? But hey, maybe you know something
I don't -- maybe you know how to search this data and can tell me how to
do it.

Of course, if I had a forum like, say, webhostingtalk.com, I could go on
there and search no problem... heck, now that I think of it,
webhostingtalk.com seems to cast some doubt upon your suggestion that
noobdy with real knowledge uses a forum unless they're paid to do so. I
find it hard to believe that forums are as universally useless as you're
implying.

On another note, I'm not sure how helpful it is to suggest all the US
users of typo3 are too lazy to install a newsreader, or that any
American users who *GASP* prefer a forum to a newsgroup only hold that
preference because they're too unprofessional to have used a newsreader
before... IMO, This is the kind of attitude that turns off so many
potential TYPO3 users.

As for the rest of what you say -- about people thinking that they're
owed free support and failing to understand the function of the mailing
lists. I think that's certainly true in some cases, buy it seems endemic
to so many communities that form around free software.

Just my .02!

Zach