[TYPO3-UG US] How to get started? Analyses of the steep learning curve

Elmar Hinz elmar.hinz at vcd-berlin.de
Fri Nov 11 19:04:47 CET 2005

Hello peole,

as you are intensively working on the documentations. For me it was
diffecult to get started, because I didn't know wich documention to read
in which order. I felt that some concepts in the documents were out of
date but there was no hint which of them.

Here I give some order of the documents how to get started at all and
how to get started with the different fields (Editor, Admin, Developer,
Programmer).

I have categorized the documents in three categories tutorial, theory
and reference.

I think that shows some of the reasons why the learning curve is so
steep. You can't really understand the tutorials without some knowledge
of the theory behind. But the documents about the theory allways teach
you the theory as a whole thing at one time.

What lacks are tutorials that deliver both, praxis AND parts of the
theory at the right time. Such a concept you will rather find in books
about TYPO3.

What lacks is a modernized "Getting started" tutorial that fundaments on
modern concepts: css, accesibility and templa voila.

Elmar

1.) Startup: Tutorial "Getting Started" and WAMP Installation on Windows

That is an easy way to install Apache, MySQL, PHP, TYPO3, Quickstart
Website on a Windows PC. The "Getting Started" Tutorial describes the
installation. The Quicksart Website is the right website for the tutorial.

Keep in mind that the tutorial helps to get started but some concepts
are rather out of date. It is necessary to read more tutorials to learn
about css styled HTML, acessibilty etc.

2.) Become an editor

Handbuch für Redakteure (deutsch). Is there an english translation?

3.) Become a typoscript developer: Learn more about configuration with
typoscript

* TSref (reference)
* TSConfig (reference)

* Modern Template Building, Part 1 (tutorial)
* Modern Template Building, Part 2 (tutorial)
* TypoScript By Example (tutorial: recipes collection)
* TypoScript Syntax and In-depth Study (theory: syntax)
* TypoScript Templates (theory: architecture)
* Futuristic Template Building (tutorial)

4.) Become an admin: Lern more about Installation

* Installation and Upgrade of TYPO3 (tutorial)

5.) Become an extension programmer

* Templates, TypoScript & beyond (theory: from typoscript to programming)
* Inside TYPO3 (theory: architectural concepts of TYPO3 System)

* TYPO3 Core APIs (reference: API)
* Project Coding Guidelines (reference: best practice)

* Backend Programming (tutorial)

--
Climate change 2005: Mexico, Guatemala, New Orleans, Sahel, Bangladesh,
Spain, Portugal, Austria, Swiss, France, ...