[TYPO3-UG US] Education of Users

Michelle Heizer michelle at typo3.us
Fri Nov 11 03:15:05 CET 2005

Hi Chris,

We really appreciate your thoughts as a new user. I know it sounds like
we are more focused on the solutions and marketing portion of the
website right now, but we do understand the need for better
documentation and support and that is certainly a major goal of the
website.

We do plan on having a support section for content editors and
developers. We have also planned a "Learning TYPO3" section with a
website built from the ground up in TYPO3. It will be a combination of
Flash and written tutorials.

My main concern with the TYPO3 documentation has always been that it is
built on basic examples, but doesn't discuss the core concepts. So when
developers dive into more complicated templates, they find themselves
lost. In other words, the documentation doesn't have enough "why you
need to be doing this or that." If developers learn the concepts of
TYPO3 instead, I think we could actually cut down on the TYPO3
documentation quite a bit. As it stands now, people seem to be relying
on just finding an example that will work in their template. We also
need to focus on "best practices" in TYPO3, even simple things like
storing all of your templates in one folder could save someone weeks of
work.

We do have a documentation group started, and it looks like they may be
helping the main TYPO3 documentation group as well. Hopefully, they will
be able to fix some of these problems. I still feel we need to have
documentation written from the ground up instead of rewriting current
documentation that is already outdated. As you mention, there are holes
and the only way to find them is to start from the beginning. We need to
make the documentation more modular so that we can update a small
portion when an upgrade happens, instead of rewriting the whole doc from
the beginning.

Also, I am very pleased to announce that Chris Paige is working on a
knowledgebase for our developer's section. He's organizing, categorizing
and rewriting some of the FAQs and HOWTOs from TYPO3.org and adding to
them as well. He's spent several hours on it the past few days and I
think this will be a useful resource in the future. A big thanks to
Chris!!

Regards,

Michelle