[TYPO3-UG US] Status of TYPO3.us

Zach Davis zach at castironcoding.com
Sat Dec 17 22:46:24 CET 2005

Alex Heizer wrote:

> That's what I was saying. The primary thing is to build the site in the
> traditional way so that the reader learns the foundation. Then, have a
> section that shows how to do it using automake, one that shows using the
> MTB method, one that shows the TV method, and we can add new sections
> each time a new time-saving extension comes out
>
> Alex

Ok -- seems like we're agreed then; we'll move forward accordingly. I
fully see your point about beginning with the basics, and I agree that
the classic* is a good place to start. I think including all three
approaches (is there a difference between the automaketemplate approach
and the MTB approach?) is a great solution and will greatly benefit the
user.

For the record (and for those of you who are thinking about learning how
to use TV), the purpose of TV, as I see it, is not to allow users to
avoid or circumvent typoscript -- and it's not to somehow speed up site
devlopment. TV actually brings new features to the table, which are more
about added functionality than saving time or making typo3 easier for
newcomers. In my experience, TV doesn't really save you much time. Take
the FTB tutorial for instance -- you're still using the same typoscript
objects (renamed lib.whatever instead of temp.whatever) -- what's
missing is the TEMPLATE object, which is only a small part of the
typoscript. Add to this the fact that templaVoila allows you to have
different templates for different branches of the site without confusing
conditions in the TS or endless ext templates, and you have a pretty
powerful tool. Throw flexible content elements on top of that, which
make it possible to include a two column layout, for instance, within
another column, and you have a very powerful tool. Like
automaketemplate, I doubt TV will prove to be a fad. Kasper and Robert
both seem comitted to its continued development, and given that its
original funding came from one of the largest sponsors of TYPO3, I think
it's likely that we'll see TV increasingly becoming the accepted (and
expected) way of doing things.

best,
Zach

* I think classic is a better term for this approach than old-fashioned
or outdated -- just as I think it's probably unfair to characterize TV
as a flash in the pan, what's hot, another fad, etc.