[TYPO3-UG US] Status of TYPO3.us

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 22:28:05 CET 2005

On 12/17/05, Alex Heizer <alex at tekdevelopment.com> wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> Christopher wrote:

<snip>

> >This is, IMO, totally untrue. I haven't built a site the 'old' way
> >since the FTB tutorial appeared, and it's never made _any_ difference
> >to how much TS has been required to build the site. If anything, a
> >major hole in the current documentation--how to use TS in TV-based
> >sites to plan for small changes could be patched with this project
> >[1].
> >
> So you're saying you learned a certain level of the foundation and chose
> to use TV. Good, that is my point. Teach people the solid foundation,
> then when an extension is created to make their job easier, they can
> choose to use it or not. I choose not to use TV at all and my life is
> easier than if I used TV. But that's my personal preference. What you
> are suggesting is to patch existing documentation. What this project is
> designed to do is to create new, solid, current documentation that
> supersedes the existing collection of scattered documentation on
> learning T3.

No, that is not what I said. Please don't quote me out of context. I
was responding to these remarks:

> SInce TV is an extension, and in no way helps you learn the proper way
> to create a site in TypoScript, it would appear in the appendix as an
> additional way to make a site, once the reader already knows the proper
> way to code a site.

_The_ "proper way to create a site," or "proper way to code a site"?
What makes TS-only the 'proper way'? I say that _which_ templating
method is used makes absolutely NO difference to how much TS a
developer is going to have to learn and NO difference to how soon
they're going to need to learn it. If (as I thought), this tutorial is
supposed to provide a realistic foundation for continuing with Typo3,
I'd say it should make the widely-used options very clear. As has
already been pointed out, there are clear advantages to using TV for
organizations that would prefer to assign html/css and TS to different
people/departments.

-Christopher