[TYPO3-UG US] Status of TYPO3.us

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Sat Dec 17 19:49:54 CET 2005

Hi Zach,

Zach Davis wrote:

> no matter which approach one
>takes, one will still learn a considerable amount about typoscript.

Exactly. And since there are already a number of documents out there
that people can learn from, this needs to be more than just a task-based
tutorial. That's why it's so much more important to help someone learn a
solid foundation. Then, when they go to learn using one of the "latest
fad" methods of creating a site, such as automake, MTB, TV, or whatever
someone comes up with in the future to make our lives easier in this
fast-food, microwave society (and, believe me, they *will* come up with
something new), they will be able to make an informed decision about
what works best for them, and what is the best fit for a particular site.

>I am
>not suggesting that we should teach new users how to setup a site using
>the new site wizard that comes with TV (although that's often an easy
>starting point) -- I'm just talking about how we map typoscript objects
>(whether it's temp.menu, lib.menu or styles.content.get) to a section in
>the template. No matter which approach we take, we're still going to
>have to carefully show the user what a tyopscript object is, how to read
>the tsref, etc. TemplaVoila is not, and really never has been, a
>substitute for typoscript -- I've always seen it as a substitute for the
>TEMPLATE object.

Since the TEMPLATE object is part of the core, and TV an add-on, it
doesn't make sense to create a tutorial and site to teach people a solid
foundation and use an extension. Stick to the foundation, and the
extensions will make more sense when you get to them.

>On that note, if we agree not to go with TV (and I see good arguments
>for and against it), then I really hope we can agree to setup the NPO
>template by storing the html template and css file in fileadmin, and
>bringing them in using a standard typoscript TEMPLATE object. That
>approach just makes sense -- it keeps the design (CSS / HTML) separate
>from the logic (TS template), which, as we all know, is a good practice.
>The "hardcore" TS template strikes me as hopelessly outdated and, more
>importantly, as an unnecessarily difficult way to put together a site in
>TYPO3. We should be showing how easy it is -- not how hard it can be.

Although people have given great arguments to *use* TV, so far I haven't
seen one that makes a good argument to have the LT3 project based on TV.
The emphasis is on teaching a solid foundation. Extensions come later,
once the foundation is learned. Personal preferences aside, this means
TS and external templates for this project. Other projects will have
different requirements. The primary requirement of this project was, is,
and always will be to teach a new user a solid foundation that they can
build upon.

Alex