[Typo3-UG Australia] Production Live Environment

Kelvin F ipdatmonash at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 06:28:59 CEST 2004

Hi list

I notice the typo3 staff have a production/live environment in mind.  I envision a system where a live and a production server run side by side, and try to mimic one another.  The backend users update their section of the backend production side and after the appropriate workflows the new content (or an entire page) is sent to the live server for the frontend users to see the updates.

If the typo3  production/live environment project is not going to be completed anytime soon, i was wondering if it is possible to create my own production/live environment?

At this stage I have brainstormed 2 main ideas.

The first:

A double typo3 installation - this is where both the front and backend sides to the system will include their own installation of typo3.  I was thinking that maybe once a user was happy with their content on the production server they could click an update button and the 2 databases for each installation would communicate.  The system would determine what changes must be made to the frontend for it to duplicate the backend.  Then the content must be uploaded to the frontend for the updates to take place

The second idea:

Static Export: Rather than having 2 typo3 installations, there would only be an installation for the backend side of the website.  The live section would consist of static HTML files.  Once changes have been made to the production server, the user could simply press a button or run a script where the current HTML files will be compared with the content on the backend section, and any differences found would be transfered to the live server.

Has anybody else thought about a system like this, or even implemented one? or do we have to wait for the development of the typo3 live/production extension to be completed.

Kelvin Francis

team - IPD