[Typo3-UG Australia] migrating a website

Paul Sanderson pauls at iicservices.com
Mon Jun 21 01:11:17 CEST 2004

>YAAY !
>
>I've finally got a template working without getting errors ( One had to
>take it to the lowest common denominator and start with the "business"
>template and modify it from there)
>
>Reasonably happy with it - but i've done this on my "non internet"
>machine and wanted to put it on my gateway box.
>
>My question: How do I migrate a website from one machine to another ?
>(And for that matter - from my local machine to the server/ISP ?)
>
>Should I be working on the server to start with or is it easy enough to
>copy/paste sites around ? (I would have thought not as media such as
>images would not go with it and being tables in database - they would
>not copy/paste easily ?)
>
>Thanks
>
>Bernie

Hi Bernie,

It is possible. Theoretically, TYPO3 is meant to be platform independent.
One can Backup/Export the database, and copy the typo3conf/ folder to the
other server.

The catch is, the other server is recommended to be running in a similar or
same environment (esp. when it comes to some configurations in the
localconf.php file), and you need to replace the configuration on the other
server.

You can use the W4 Backup or the Fullbackup (based on W4) extensions to do
most of the work for you. You can try it, though you may have a few
configuration issues as a result (that are probably fixable given Typo3 is
highly configurable).

Are you moving from a Windows to a Unix server? I've not read much about
such migrations.

regards,

Paul Sanderson