[TYPO3-translators] Move language files to another location w/o redundancy in pootle?

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Tue Mar 25 07:24:56 CET 2014

Hi Roland,

First of all thanks for thinking about it and willing to take care.

> i was looking into EXT:realurl lately and started to fix some CGL
> violations. the next thing i realized that nowadays location of files are
> different then they were back then when EXT:realurl was created. i wondered
> if there is a way to e.g. move it's language files to a location like
> /Resources/Private/Language/.

tl;dr

-----------------
It's the responsibility of the corresponding development team (here we
are speaking from Dmitry Dulepov) and cannot be done unless the team is
willing to do so.

In short, yes, we can reuse existing translation but it's some uncool
job to be done semi-automatically on the translation server.
-----------------

Longer answer:

We cannot simply move things away since we want to keep backward
compatibility for users of an older version of a given extension who
should still be able to get their translation and any fix on it even
when using an old version, that's the whole point of it and is easily
forgotten.

As such what has been done for a few of important extensions which
changed to using the new directory structure was to do that at the same
time than converting from ll-XML file format to XLIFF as
Resources/Private/Language is the best practice which has been
introduced with TYPO3 4.6 (version of Extbase back then).

When this happens, and in order to keep backward compatibility, we will
need, unfortunately, to keep old files at their old location *in
addition* to the new place. This means we can reuse existing translation
when "copying" them to the new place but you will still have to
translate twice, if needed (but new labels will of course only be found
in the new directory). But ideally "fix" existing translations in two
different files.

Kind regards

--
Xavier Perseguers