[TYPO3-translators] Migrating to XLIFF

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Mon Nov 18 14:34:28 CET 2013

Hi Francois,

>> Please note however that if you take the opportunity to relocate files
>> (e.g., from pi1 to Resources/Private/Language), then you WILL HAVE to
>> manually recover translations by uploading corresponding translated
>> files to their new location).
>
> How would that process be? Do I have fetch translation packages locally
> to safeguard them. Then when Pootle updates the extension I use those
> saved files (located somewhere typo3conf/l10n/...) and upload them to
> Pootle. Right?

If you happen to keep file at previous location, then you will be able
to download it from any translation in Pootle and simply upload it right
away to its new place. If not, the old file will be deleted from
"templates" but (I did not test), I'd say that Pootle will keep the
translation and not remove when updating from templates, so that you
will have a "translated file without corresponding template file" =>
your translations are not lost.

To be tested though! And if you want to keep backward compatibility, you
should keep a copy at old location for a few versions anyway so that
people sticking to an older version do not lost translation (for sure).
But as said, I expect Pootle to keep the translated file and not delete
it until you do it manually.

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6