[TYPO3-translators] Migrating to XLIFF

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Mon Nov 18 13:58:46 CET 2013

Hi Francois,

> Recent activity on this list made me think about one topic that I have
> had on my mind recently: at some point I will certainly upgrade some of
> my extensions to newer development models, which will include migration
> from old-style locallang XML to XLIFF and moving localization files from
> arbitrary locations to Resources/Private/Language.
>
> Is there any way this could be handled so that existing translation are
> not lost when Pootle is updated with those new versions?

Pootle is already solely using XLIFF internally, so your ll-XML are
first converted to XLIFF and then fed to Pootle. What you translate is
already XLIFF files. When packaging ll-XML is created along with XLIFF
files (from Pootle), filenames are prepared to be compatible with TYPO3
(language prefix) and the whole is packaged.

So you actually should not worry about that migration.

Please note however that if you take the opportunity to relocate files
(e.g., from pi1 to Resources/Private/Language), then you WILL HAVE to
manually recover translations by uploading corresponding translated
files to their new location).

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6