[TYPO3-translators] German Backend Translation

Christian Hennecke hennecke at pointblank-edv.de
Sat Jan 12 12:11:16 CET 2008

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:52:33 +0100, Michael Ecker wrote:

>Last month I started a new Typo3 site - and did so discover there is a
>new german translation to the backend.
>I'm glad to see somebody does this work - but there a few minor flaws
>I'm not really happy about.
>There are now two modules named "Konfiguration" shown only a line apart
>which are only distiguishable by their icons - one of them translating
>the module "Configuration", the other the module "Install" - somewhat
>confusing.

I know. When I saw this, I immediately changed it back to
"Installation." But unfortunately, the update does not get through. See
my post "Update of sysexts".

>And sure, "Vorlage" is the formally correct translation to "Template" -
>but in this case not really helpful if you try to introduce the backend
>to a newbie.
>(Typoscript templates are more of a configuration sheet than that what
>you mean with Vorlage. And personally I was so accustomed to the old
>"Template", it's hard to me to find the new entry "Vorlage" if adding a
>new record... ;)

Well, the problem is not the German translation but the use of template
for very different things in the English original. In the case of HTML
files that the content is mapped to, template and Vorlage are fitting
100%. As for the TypoScript templates, that really doesn't fit, and
thus this applies to the German translation.

As for being accustomed to something, well, I'd rather make one big
change and people can get accustomed to the new than keeping something
that is plain wrong or "Denglish."

>Why not a simple, unambigous "Typoscript" as a "translation" to this? )

I'm in favor of this. But that's not for us translators to decide, I
guess.

Christian Hennecke