[TYPO3-translators] Information: how translations are handled in typo3

Dmitry Dulepov [typo3] dmitry at typo3.org
Mon Aug 6 10:59:36 CEST 2007

Hi!

This is FYI.

Firsts, our translation job (I am also a translator!) is not lost. Every
night it is packed and uploaded to TER automatically. To use new
translations users just have to go to EM and update language packs. All
pretty simple and automatic. This good.

The bad sides of it:
- you cannot leav your work in half-finished state. Well, physically you
can but all users will get it if they update. So try to finish a file if
you started to translate it. Or at least, finish current line :)
- there are no versions. What you translate is loaded by EM regardless
of typo3 or extension version. For us it means almost nothing but
extension authors and core team may not drop/reuse already defined
language keys. This is important.

Second, about translation server. I am currently thinking how to
organize it best, so that people do not have to ask here to send them a
password. It all will be pretty automatic, by approval of a chief
translator.

Third, translations by extension authors. Some people send translations
directly to extension authors. They (authors) should be able to send
thse changes to review to translators. This has to be thought as well to
organize it in the most convinient way.

Forth, frontend in translation server will be expanded to make it really
informative and helpful for translators. No more details yet.

Basically, this is all I can say now :) Comments are welcome.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
Web: http://typo3bloke.net/