[TYPO3-typo3org] typo3.org Packages and Download page (continued)

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Thu Feb 18 12:32:25 CET 2010

Francois Suter schrieb am 17.02.2010 22:56:

> I'm opening a new thread to clear things up a bit.

Cool, Francois, thanks!

> - have a big button for downloading quickly the latest version. This has
> sparked quite a lot of debate, although most agree that this is a good
> idea. Personally I wouldn't add this to the top of the Packages page,
> but I would place it on the Download page itself, which is not extremely
> useful for now IMO. Then people could move to the Packages page for more
> details.

Replace the "Download" page with the new version matrix. The link to the
"don't have a webserver" part could be placed below the version matrix.

> - someone suggested to remove the download links for 4.1 and 4.0, since
> they are considered - respectively - deprecated and obsolete. While I
> find that this makes sense, it somehow also looks weird.

I would leave them in.

> - I'm unconvinced by the "At a glance" section now at the top of the
> Packages page. On second thoughts, I must say that I don't find it that
> useful and I could live without it.

It's more like a "legend" explaining what we mean with stable, old
stable, etc.

I would either move that to BELOW the table or have the information pop
up in a tooltip when the mouse moves over the words "stable", "old
stable" etc.

Let the Matrix be the major part of the page, by having it right on top.
My suggestion:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Packages

 <the matrix>

 "If you don't have a webserver and want to test TYPO3 on your local PC,
download one of the <link>Installers</link>."

The versions

 <current "at a glance" text>
 Older releases with link to sourceforge

Which package?

 <current "Which package", but as an UL instead of paragraphs>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

> - the release date is that of the major version. It might be a good idea
> to show the date of the latest maintenance release (next to the release
> number) to show the liveliness of the project.

Nice idea. Place that besides version number in the "Latest" row:

4.3.1 (2010-01-14)
4.2.11 (2010-01-14)
4.1.13 (2009-10-22)
4.0.13 (2009-07-02)