[Typo3-typo3org] FAQ and Howto section. was: Mailing list archive, what next?

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Sat Sep 24 18:04:03 CEST 2005

Steffen Müller wrote:

> This is just a question of presentation.
> I disliked the absense of order. No summary, no topics, no moderation.
> On the other hand, the possibility to create a FAQ directly out of a
> mailinglist discussion was very useful!

I disagree with the last point: AFAIK one of the defects of the old
FAQ/Howto section was *that* it could be and was used directly on mails.
This lead to enourmous amounts of items (BTW: What was the difference
between FAQ and HOWTO anyway?) which where just a bunch of posts.

IMHO, if we start a new FAQ, we should have it strictly maintained and
moderated, so that the FAQ does not contain hundreds of questions (how
many of them are *really* frequently asked) but only a few dozen which
are well answered and updated regularly.

Plus, we need more and better categorization.

A wiki is a nice way to collect information quickly, but if we need an
FAQ section, why not use a proper extension for that? There are some in
TER, although I don't know about their quality.

If anybody wants to start a new FAQ, we could have a weekend sprint
(real or via IRC) to get the mosted FA'ed Qs into action as fast as
possible.

Cheers,
Michael